Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, June 14, 2012

A letter to me, from me.

My parents received a really neat letter in the mail yesterday.  It was addressed to me, and it was written by me.  On February 27, 2001, our 11th grade Chemistry teacher, Mrs. Collier, had us write letters to ourselves.  She wanted us to include details about the day, what we were wearing, who our friends were, high school information and even recent world events.  She told us she would mail us the letters 10 years from then, and she held up her promise.  The letter came in the mail (with quite a few extra postage stamps added!), and it was so fun to read what an 11th grader thought about life!  In the letter, Mitch and I had only been dating for 7 days, but I mentioned that we had been friends since November.  I talked about the excitement of prom coming up and my pride in our cheerleading squad winning the region competition and doing well at state.  I talked about how thankful I was for my friendship with Ashley, lots of funny inside jokes that were fun to remember, and I wrote about some other high school "drama".  I even wrote about the recent death of Dale Earnhardt, which must have just happened because I'm not a big Nascar fan.  I also discussed future plans to attend UGA and major in elementary education.  It's neat to look back at what I thought was a huge deal in the 11th grade and to realize how worry-free my life was then.  I am so thankful to be happily married, have a wonderful job, a precious baby, and the best family close by.  It's neat to look back and see that so many of the things I hoped for came true.  I am so grateful for a teacher who did something like this for us so we could remember the small details of our high school life.  Thanks, Mrs. Collier!

1 comment: